Handwritten Type Poster

For my Type II class, I was excited to begin working on a poster that consisted almost entirely of hand drawn text. We were allowed to use one other complimentary typeface, but otherwise, the type had to come from us. We could pick almost any lyrics, poetry, or monologue to illustrate with text, however, we were advised to stay away from anything too popular or instantly recognizable to encourage creativity and stray from what's already been done.

Final Poster: 

Process Book:
-sketches
-color & type studies
-process

Sketches:
Originally, I was torn between three different songs. One was a song by my favorite band, and the other two from a musical. I decided to go with one of the musical songs "High Adventure" because musical lyrics are usually very descriptive and tell a story, so I thought that would be most interesting to illustrate through hand-drawn text.
 

Comps:
One of the hardest things I found was trying to pick a background image that not only worked with the text, but also related to the theme and feel of the song. For my first comps, I had selected these two background images and despite how they worked with the text, I still felt like they didn't completely fit the idea of the song I had in mind.
Comp 1:
Comp 2:
Class Critique Notes:
-centered doesn't look at dynamic as one that descends
-block of text of remaining lyrics on second comp is far too much
-"High Adventure" would look better if properly fitted to banner dimensions
-minor spacing issues

With these notes in mind, I redid the banner that holds the "High Adventure" text and again scanned my results.

First Round of Edits:
I tightened up some text spacing and added in my redone "High Adventure" banner. I found another background which I liked more because of the pink cloud that the text followed nicely on top of. But I still wasn't sold on the image.
Final:
After my last round of edits, I pretty much had my final except for a background. I finally was able to find a picture from searching online (http://www.ijunoon.com/wallpapers/Nature/sahara-desert-sand-dunes) that I felt fit perfectly. The colors are exactly what I was searching for and the sand dunes fit the theme for a song from the Broadway version of Aladdin.

Background Image:

Final Poster:
 


 

 

Flickr Photostream