Library Events Poster

For my Type II class, we were given free reign to select any venue, artist, sports team, etc. to create an event poster. The constrains were that it had to be our own photography and the text needed to be placed directly on top of the image, meaning no blocks of color even with lowered opacity. Being a Typography class, we also had to focus on our hierarchy with the event entries and experiment with different weights and sizes.What also was different about this project is we worked with a larger poster format than we were used to. These were printed on 16x20in poster paper as opposed to the 11x17in we're more accustomed to. I chose my favorite library from home and had plenty of daily events to work with.

Final Poster:

Process Book:
-color studies
-type studies
Sketches:


Comps:
Comp 1:
Comp 2:
Comp 3:

I ended up going with my third comp and fine tuning much of the type details. I established better hierarchy by switching the event titles to oblique and bringing down the font size of the room the event where the even will be held. I also had quite a few widows hanging alone so I played with that type to eliminate them so as to not draw unnecessary attention. There was also some minor kerning issues I was able to fix.

 

Flickr Photostream